FAQ For Grow With GooglE Scholarship
What is COL- Grow with Google Skills for Work Scholarship?
COL- Grow with Google Skills for Work Scholarship is an initiative of Commonwealth of Learning (COL) under its Skills for Work program. The Scholarship is aimed at enabling citizens of commonwealth nation acquire skills to gain employment, work, and livelihood
What is Skills for Work Program?
Skills for Work ,an initiative of Commonwealth of Learning (COL), aims to support the efforts of Commonwealth Member States to disseminate skills required for decent employment and entrepreneurship and pave the way for skilling, reskilling, upskilling and lifelong learning.Skills for Works takes a two-pronged approach:
- Through hybrid models that apply open and distance learning techniques, it helps women, girls, youth, people with disabilities, entrepreneurs, and the unemployed at the community level to acquire relevant 21st Century, life and essential skills, and access in-country mentorship support.
- Through varied partnership models, it enhances ODL capabilities of both TVET institutions and other non-governmental organisations involved in skill development to share and adapt open educational resources; develop capacity in blended teaching/learning practices; scale up outreach efforts; and, respond to the market needs.
Skills for Work believes that the success and the growth of private eLearning providers in both the developed world and in emerging economies contributes to closing the education and skills gap. The model of low-cost, highly convenient, accessible and self-paced, flexible self-learning is a direct answer to the needs of unemployed youth, workers in the informal economy and people with mobility challenges.
Can I apply for all the three certification programs under skills for work initiative?
No, you can apply for one certification program only in a single cohort.
If I am not selected in the current cohort, can I apply to be a learner of the next cohort?
When will I be notified about my selection?
Once you submit your application through your national focal points/national implementing partners they will assess your eligibility for the program. If you are selected the national desk/partner will notify you through email and also will send your nomination to the Commonwealth of Learning Skills for work team to enroll you in the program. For the first cohort in 2021, you will be notified before 1 April 2021. For the second cohort, the selected applicants will be notified by 30 September 2021.
What is Grow With Google?
What are the specializations/courses that I can enroll under COL-Grow with Google Skills for Work initiative?
There are 5 certifications areas/courses:
1) Introductory Level – IT Support Certificate- This online training program provides the skills you need for an introductory-level job in IT support, with no relevant experience required.
You’ll learn about: Troubleshooting and customer care, Networking, Operating systems, System administration
2) Advanced Level – IT Automation with Python Certificate- For learners familiar with basic IT concepts, this advanced program builds on those foundations to take your career to the next level.
You’ll learn about: Python programming, IT automation, Troubleshooting & debugging, Testing in Python
How to set up your developer environment
3) Google Data Analytics Certificate- Get started in the high-growth field of data analytics with a professional certificate from Google. Learn job-ready skills that are in demand, like how to analyze and process data to gain key business insights.
4) Google Project Management Certificate- Get started in the high-growth field of project management with a professional certificate developed by Google. Discover how to manage projects efficiently and effectively, using traditional and agile methods.
5) Google UX Design Certificate- Get started in the fast-growing field of user experience (UX) design with a professional certificate developed by Google. Learn the foundations of UX design, including empathizing with users, building wireframes and prototypes, and conducting research to test your designs.
6) Associate Android Developer Certification- Accelerate your move toward a career in mobile app development. Learn to build simple Android apps with our Android Basics in Kotlin training — no programming experience necessary. Then, take the Associate Android Developer Certification exam to gain recognition for your skills as a developer.
Can I apply for all 5 specialization/coursrs under COL-Grow with Google skills for work initiative?
Yes, you can apply for all 5 specializations/courser. There are currently 5 specialization/courses under the COL-Grow with Google Skills for Work Initiative: 1) Introductory Level – IT Support Certificate 2) Advanced Level – IT Automation with Python Certificate 3) Google Data Analytics Certificate 4) Google Project Management Certificate 5) Google UX Design Certificate
How much does Grow with Google cost?
Grow with Google offers a wide range of resources and programs to help you grow your skills, career, or business at no cost under the Commonwealth of Learning-Grow with Google Skills for Work Programme.
Why did Google create this programME?
Google has long faced an issue that many other companies also contend with — they had open IT support roles, and not enough qualified candidates to fill them. So, a few years ago Google began working with a nonprofit organization to provide training and pathways to roles in technical support at Google. Google learned that not only is IT support a highly teachable field, but that Google could teach someone completely new to the industry the IT fundamentals in under six months. So, Google decided to build an IT training program on Coursera, created entirely by Googlers who are expert in IT support so this training could be available to everyone.
What background knowledge is necessary?
Are the certificates really 100% online?
What resources are available to help with my job search?
Can I get a Google Certificate under COL-Grow with Google Skills for Work Scholarship?
Where can I access google career certificates?
Google Career Certificates are available globally in English on Coursera. However, the Associate Android Developer Certification is hosted on developer.android.com. The Google IT Support Certificate is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. Google is working to make the certificates available in more languages.
What is Coursera?
What is the Google Career Certificates Employer Consortium? How does it work?
The Google Career Certificates Employer Consortium consists of over 130 U.S. companies like Better.com, Deloitte, Infosys, Snap Inc., Target, Verizon, and of course, Google. These companies span multiple sectors and are committed to considering Google Career Certificate graduates for entry-level jobs. Upon completion of a Google Career Certificate, you will gain access to an exclusive job platform where you can easily apply to opportunities from employers with open jobs.
What other kind of support is available after I complete a Google Career Certificate?
Who designed the Google Career Certificates?
Google Career Certificates were designed and built by subject-matter experts and senior practitioners at Google from each of the job fields. Every certificate has been created to equip learners with theoretical and practical knowledge and real-life problem-solving skills to be successful in an entry-level job. Expert industry organizations and platforms – like the Project Management Institute for project management, Tableau for data analytics, and Figma for UX design, to name a few – consulted and collaborated on material.
How many cohort available in 2021 under Commonwealth of learning - Grow with Google Skills for Work Scholarship?
Second Cohort: 1 October 2021 – 31 March 2022 (6 months)